Monday

Boys Will Be Boys

WWSD? Suzie would know exactly how to handle this situation.

I love that I'm the cool mom. I love that all my kid's friends want to come to our house to play. It's easier to keep my eyes on who they are hanging out with and what they are doing. Having a house full of kids has never bothered me, until now.

One of my son's friends seems to have developed a crush on me. He continues to bring me hand-drawn cards and flowers he has picked from his yard. He has stopped playing with the other kids and just wants to sit and talk to me. It all makes me feel uncomfortable and I have no idea what to do about it as I do not want to hurt his feelings in any way.

I've thought about trying to set him up with one of the neighborhood girls, but if it didn't work out -- I'm scared he'd torch my house. I've thought about being blunt with him, but I see that going just as bad. Perhaps I should just ignore him -- I'm sure his feelings may be hurt, but that seems like my only safe bet.

On the other side, I could use this to my advantage. I could get him to mow my lawn as we know that didn't go over so well with me last time. I could use some help weeding the garden and the flower beds. The fence could stand a few nails here and there and my car could stand a good washing as well. Hmm. This could actually prove to be rather useful. I wonder if he'll accept cupcakes as payment?

11 comments:

Derek Bowles said...

Haha! Looks like you also have a young stalker. Here's your members jacket.

Miss Suzie said...

@Derek: Unfortunately, that isn't a club I want to be a part of. I just don't want to hurt the poor kid's feelings. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I said something about screwing up all men's minds.

Derek Bowles said...

Make him a special batch of cookies. With exlax. I bet he'll leave you alone. And no one wants to be apart of that club.

Stephanie said...

You reminded me of my mother with this post. All of my guy friends in Elementary, JH, and HS liked her. They always said she was the "coolest, hottest mom".

Everyone has a kid crush. Mine was an English teacher in 4th grade. He was from Australia and had just a cute accent. =)

When I have kids, I want to be a hot mom, minus the mini stalkers.

Miss Suzie said...

@Derek: I only do exlax cookies for Dick (god that sounded really bad).

@Steph: I had a crush on my fifth grade teacher. He too had an accent (although I'm not sure what). And yes, the mini-stalkers take the fun out of being the hot mom.

Ralph Ivy said...

When I was in the 9th grade my English teacher placed me in the front seat at an end row where I could see slightly behind her desk. During class she would sometime scoot her chair back, uncross her legs, adjust her skirt, then cross them again. I was riveted to every move, gesture. I was one of her most attentive students.

So...no cookies. To have you car washed and lawn mowed and cleaned on a regular bais, I suggest the following: When you first show him how to wash the car or mow the lawn, wear shorts and a loose blouse. Bend over (deeply) a couple of times to show him how to mix the water and car-wash, or how to clean the sponge. Similar with the mower. With legs slightly spread, been over again (not kneel) and show how the starter is checked, or how to remove weeds tangled around the wheels.

I realize you probably cam make these moves instinctively. I just wanted to give the boy's view. How the slightest peek here and there will give him memories to treasure forever. And you car and lawn will be certainly cleaned and maintained.

Thank you.

Miss Suzie said...

@Ralph: So if I fix cookies AND bend over strategically, I should be able to get that fence fixed as well, huh? Who knew? :)

jason said...

read a few of your posts, but am leaving a comment here. love the blog! I am a huge fan of sarcastic humor and am digging your writing. Thanks for a good read.

Miss Suzie said...

@jason: Aww, thanks! You just made my day. :)

Robin said...

Just ignore the poor kid. Those feelings will pass eventually and when he's 16 you'll have saved him from the embarrassing memory of having been in love with one of his friend's mom.

Wow that became a very odd sentence...

Miss Suzie said...

@Robin: Very odd indeed. :) I have begun ignoring him though and it seems to have helped a little.